Sunday, October 20, 2013

Squash & Veggie Soup

I love fall. I love the weather, the scenery, and the food. It's such a comforting time of year. Be warned, after this post, there will be an onslaught of pumpkin posts (soup, muffins, cookies, oh my!)

But for today, the focus is on Squash & Veggie Soup. I found the original recipes on one of my favourite sites, ohsheglows.com. There it is titled Luxurious 7-Vegetable and "Cheese" Soup. It's kind of a mouthful and definitely scary if you aren't a vegetable fan. I mean, seven vegetables? Let's not get excessive and point that out. For you non veggie fans, you will notice fewer veggies in my version...mainly because I realized I didn't have sweet potato once I had started. Oh well.

Anyway, I made a few changes and thought I would share the changes with you. First things first, I divided the recipe in half and then I went from there.

Ingredients

  • oil (for sautéing)
  • 2 cups of onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup of celery
  • 1/2 cup of carrots
  • 3 1/2 cups of broccoli florets
  • 2 cups of butternut squash
  • 3 cups of vegetable broth
  • 2 tbs of soy parmesan
  • dash of chili pepper, crushed chili pepper flakes, cinnamon

Directions

  1. Chop and sauté the onion and garlic in a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Add celery, carrots, broccoli, and squash as you chop them. Sauté for a few minutes.
  3. Add veggie broth and squash. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the squash softens slightly.
  4. Remove from heat and allow to cool significantly.
  5. Add the soy parmesan and other spices. Stir gently.
  6. Using a blender, blend the mixture in small batches.
  7. Return all smoothly blended batches into the pot to stir together (and reheat).
  8. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment