Sunday, July 7, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake

The best kind of baking is divided up so no one person does all of the work. And it's even better if someone else does the clean up.

It was decided that we were going to have Strawberry Shortcake for dessert yesterday. I made the shortcake, my sister and mom hulled the strawberries, my mom did the Nutriwhip, and my sister and grandmother did the dishes (for which I feel slightly guilty but not super guilty because I was having tons of fun with my itty-bitty 19 month old niece).

I started by searching online for a vegan shortcake recipe but stopped quickly because I knew we've made shortcake before and that I probably could veganize the recipe. I pulled out The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook. I'm sure there are newer versions than ours which is copyrighted 1980, but it has been used well over the years.

Anyway, on to the recipe.



Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups of flour
  • 1/2 cup of shortening
  • 1/3 cup of almond milk
  • 1 egg replacer (I used chia and told everyone I used flax because I have the memory of a carrot. A flax-egg would work better but I ran out of flax)
  • 1 tbs baking powder
  • Strawberries
  • Nutriwhip

 

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Mix together the sugar, flour, shortening, egg replacer and baking powder. (I had to add slightly more shortening because it was a tad bit crumbly).
  3. Divide dough into eight equal cakes and bake for 10 minutes.
  4. Hull the strawberries and prepare the Nutriwhip (or get someone else to do it!)
  5. Cut the cakes in half horizontally. Serve with cut surface up, add berries and Nutriwhip.
  6. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment