My only taste tester (that wasn't myself) prefers this recipe to the previously blogged recipe.
This recipe yields about 8 servings of 1 cup each. I've been told it freezes well, although I have not tested this. I avoid freezing things because then I won't open the freezer six months from now and wonder what the mystery frozen item is. If this isn't an issue for you, test it out.
- 2 tbsp. dairy-free margarine
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 3/4 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger, & nutmeg (I upped the cinnamon and decreased the ginger)
- 6 cups of squash (peeled, seeded, & chopped)
- 1 medium potato
- 900 mL of veggie broth
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I would omit this)
- 1 cup water (I just used more broth)
- Melt margarine in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Saute for 5 min until veggies are softened.
- Stir in spices.
- Add squash and potato, broth, water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered until squash is tender (30 min) Let cool slightly.
- Puree in batches in blender and then pour back into pot.
- Stir in maple syrup.
- Serve and enjoy!