Sunday, September 29, 2013

Baked Apple Won Tons

Originally I was going to make Baked Banana Won Tons, but then our trip to St. Lucia happened. During this trip, my husband realized that he doesn't like banana type desserts. So, instead I decided to mash up a couple of recipes. The other one I referred to was Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls.

My creation got pretty good reviews but it's not something I would make regularly because it's a bit more finicky than pour stuff in a bowl, mix, and bake. There are steps, even if they are easy.

My filling was enough for 13 but this could vary.

Also, baking times may be off because I used a toaster oven since our oven is being a jerkface. They turned out well enough that my husband commented that we don't need to get the oven fixed. I resisted the urge to beat him over the head with the dirty baking tray.

 

Ingredients

  • 2 apples chopped into itty bitty pieces
  • 1/2 a lemon, juiced
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of flour
  • sprinkle of cinnamon, to taste
  • 26 won ton wrappers
  • a bit of melted Earth Balance or other butter substitute (or the real deal if that's your thing)
  • a bit more cinnamon and brown sugar
  • a sauce of your choosing (or Caramel Sauce from Carrot Fight, or Caramel Sauce from Oh My Veggies)

 

Directions

  1. Preheat  your oven (or toaster oven) to 375 degrees.
  2. Chop up your apples, being aware that they will be the filling in pretty narrow rolls, so you don't want huge chunks.
  3. Place chopped apples in a bowl with lemon juice, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
  4. Set aside for a few minutes. Do lunges or something.
  5. Get out your won ton wrappers. Take one won ton wrapper and wet an edge with water. Overlap another won ton wrapper on top of this edge and press the edges together so you have a large rectangle. Wet all edges.
  6. Lightly fill the center of your joined wrappers with the apple filling. Fold up the bottom and top and then roll the left and right sides inwards. Press the edges together and place on a slightly greased baking sheet.
  7. Do this however many more times until you run out of filling or wrappers.
  8. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the edges brown. A few minutes before they are done, drizzle melted butter on top and sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon to finish them off.
  9. Add sauce, serve, and enjoy!

Update:  Now that I've had fried cookie dough won tons, I would try frying this instead. Definitely less 'healthy' but likely worth it. And yes, I will be blogging about the cookie dough won tons. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment