Friday, September 27, 2013

Tomato Soup

With cooler weather arriving, I was inclined to try out another soup. This week I was inspired by Tomato Herb Soup from Budget Bytes.

The finished product is nice and thick and doesn't get the nasty skim
on top that can happen with Campbell's Tomato Soup.

The other difference is that this homemade. And it tastes way more authentic with a strong tomato flavour. For most people, this is good (which is why I'm sharing the recipe) but it was a reminder that I don't love tomato.

I know, I know....why try something that isn't true to my taste buds? Well, I don't have an answer for that.

Anyway, the recipe was 'inspired' by the original in that I made changes to make full use of ingredients that I have on hand and to match the size of cans that I bought. It should make 5-6 servings. Here you go:

Ingredients:

  • 540 mL can of diced tomatoes (feel free to play with flavour. I used a garlic & herb kind)
  • 1/8 cup of onion (or more or less to your taste)
  • oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • spices of your preference (I used chili powder, Italian seasoning, and black pepper)
  • a can of tomato paste
  • 2 tsp. of brown sugar
  • 2 cups of vegetable broth

 

Steps

  1. If you want a super smooth soup, feel free to blend your diced tomatoes and onion and set aside.
  2. Sauté your garlic and spices in oil for a couple of minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
  3. Add the tomato paste and brown sugar and stir on medium-low setting for a few minutes.
  4. Add the diced tomatoes, onion, and vegetable broth and stir until smooth.
  5. Heat all ingredients for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Serve and enjoy!

Edited:  If you serve it with a tiny bit of cheese or daiya, fresh chopped onion, and flavoured crackers or croutons, the tomato flavour is diminished and it becomes fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment