My sauce is based off of one from Oh My Veggies. Initially, I didn't use their sauce because I didn't want to open up a can of coconut milk and have some leftover.
Instead, I got creative. However, most people probably don't have coconut cream liqueur on hand so I would understand if you used the sauce found here.
The flavours are very similar but when warmed, mine is a tad thicker. If you like lots of sauce, you may want to double the recipe.
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tbs of water
- 2 tbs of coconut cream liqueur
- 1 tbs of coconut oil
- 2 tbs of almond milk
- Combine the sugar and water in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium-high and do not stir.
- Allow the mixture to boil and watch it turn a golden colour to light brown. It will start to smell like caramel. This should take about six minutes, but the colour is more important than the time it takes.
- Slowly add the remaining ingredients, stirring constantly. Your mixture may react 'angrily' as you add the new stuff. Get angry back with constant stirring.
- Continue at this temperature until the sauce becomes thicker. This could take 4-6 minutes. Be aware that it will be thicker when it is cooled and that the sauce can be used warm or cool.
- Resist the urge to eat it directly from the pot and instead add it to something delicious, like Baked Apple Won Tons.