Thursday, May 30, 2013

Haunted, but not by Earthlings

Earthlings is frequently referenced as a must-see for everyone alike....either to reaffirm a veg*n's commitment or to convert omnivores. I say skip it. The only good thing I can say about it is that it covers the whole animal picture...pets, entertainment, food, etc. If you manage to get through the super slow and boring introduction, then you will be assaulted with horrific images of slaughter and cruelty to animals.

Now, I was prepared for this documentary. I knew what I was getting into. However, I find the
stance is pushed so hard that it is just a turn off. If I were an omni, I would just walk away. And really, I only watched to the end because I was knitting and distracted....and because I wanted something to blog about.

This documentary didn't traumatize me. It didn't haunt me. It really just made me ompare it to more powerful documentaries and books. For example, right now I'm reading Eating Animals. In this book, it describes some of the things seen in Earthlings but the viewpoint isn't forced on you as much, so it still keeps its credibility (in my opinion).

So, if Earthlings doesn't haunt me, then what does? The animals that are soon-to-be food. When I was little, my sister and I used to count the cows we passed on our road-trip to the family cottage. Naturally, I didn't make the connection.

But recently, my husband and I went for a walk. It was a gorgeous day. And in our travels, we walked by a field of beef cattle. At first, only one took interest in us. It slowly walked over to check us out. And then the others followed. It was kind of cool and super haunting.

So, no, I'm not haunted by an-overly-referenced agenda pushing documentary. I'm haunted by animals. I'm haunted how their personalities are ignored and glossed over so that they can end up on the table. I'm haunted by the human rationalization that animals should suffer at the expense of human taste buds. I'm haunted by language that allows people to disassociate the animal connection from what they are eating.

I'm sticking with veggies and my appreciation for animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment